Tuesday, September 21, 2010

quelque chose à partager



Just wanted to share this with you. It's an excerpt from C.S. Lewis' "The Silver Chair". As a kid I remember reading "The Magician's Nephew." and "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardobe." A couple years ago "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" was the first book I bought in France, in French, to read for fun. I never ended up reading "The Silver Chair," though, as a kid because I did see the movie and it scared me. Well, most movies scared me as a kid, but I still have a mental picture of a scene. I have no idea what happens in the movie/book, but I do remember a silver chair. Anyways, I was reading yesterday in the Word along with The Blue Book, a devotional guide compiled by my friend J.L.B. Part of this excerpt was in the 'readings for reflection' section. I had just spent time in John 4. Then I read this...

“If you are thirsty, you may drink.”

[...] For a second she stared here and there, wondering who had spoken. Then the voice said again, “If you are thirsty, come and drink,” [...] [she] realised that it was the lion speaking. [...] [T]he voice was not like a man’s. It was deeper, wilder, and stronger; a sort of heavy, golden voice. It did not make her any less frightened than she had been before, but it made her frightened in rather a different way.

“Are you not thirsty?” said the lion.

“I’m dying of thirst,” said Jill.

“Then drink,” said the lion.

“May I – could I – would you mind going away while I do?” said Jill.

The Lion answered this only by a look and a very low growl. And as Jill gazed at its motionless bulk, she realised that she might as well have asked the whole mountain to move aside for her convenience.

The delicious rippling noise of the stream was driving her nearly frantic.

“Will you promise not to – do anything to me, if I do come?” said Jill.

“I make no promise,” said the Lion.

Jill was so thirsty now that, without noticing it, she had come a step nearer.

“Do you eat girls?” she said.

“I have swallowed up girls and boys, women and men, kings and emperors, cities and realms,” said the Lion. It didn’t say this as if it were boasting, nor as if it were sorry, nor as if it were angry. It just said it.

“I daren’t come and drink,” said Jill.

“Then you will die of thirst,” said the Lion.

“Oh dear!” said Jill, coming another step nearer. “I suppose I must go and look for another stream then.”

“There is no other stream,” said the Lion.

It never occurred to Jill to disbelieve the Lion – no one who had seen his stern face could do that – and her mind suddenly made itself up. It was the worst thing she had ever had to do, but she went forward to the stream, knelt down, and began scooping up water in her hand. It was the coldest, most refreshing water she had ever tasted. You didn’t need to drink much of it, for it quenched your thirst at once.

Unbelievable. What a beautiful imagination Lewis was created with to aid in unveiling so much about John 4. I wrote in my journal that sentences like "There is no other stream." and "You are that girl." (from Gene Edwards' A Divine Romance) and "Then Jesus declared, 'I who speak to you am He.'" (John 4:26) will, I think, forever be with me, and I am eternally grateful.

Glad I could share. Today I also babysat the triplets and was reminded of how much sharing is crucial to their lives, was to my growing up, and is now as I live in community.

Love,

1 comment:

meg said...

thanks for the welcome. how did i miss that you have a blog? well youre now one of my amigas : ) love you and miss you jules