Thursday, January 29, 2009

Of onions and chocolate chip cookies

My dad has always said, "There are no normal people," and I believe him. We're all a little goofy, certainly messed up, and we've got layers and layers of ourselves just waiting to be peeled and pried open. My new friend Elise has this theory, of the onion and the chocolate chip cookie. The onion, clearly, has layers that are surprising, revealing, and even disappointing. The chocolate chip cookies of the world are the open-books, the immediate friends we make because we feel like we've known them all our lives, chosen first except by those health freaks and anorexics of the world, but not always worth the calories. Sometimes I know that I've wanted only cookie friends who want to go deep quickly, but I know the joy of sitting down with an onion, and both are immensly rewarding. It is interesting to see where people fall--or if they ever are cookies one day and onions the next. Isn't it amazing, though, that our God made us with different natures and personalities--different checkpoints of revealing our hearts to our friends?

No comments: